The volcanic eruption in Holuhraun has come to an end
The Scientific Advisory Board of the Icelandic Civil Protection held a meeting this morning, Saturday 28th of February 2015, and sent out the following statement:
- The volcanic eruption in Holuhraun, which began on August 31st 2014, has come to an end.
- The area continues to be closely monitored.
- Gas contamination is still detected around the eruption site.
- No changes have been made to the restricted area north of Vatnajökull.
- The Civil Protection still operates in alert phase.
- Aviation Colour Code for Bárðarbunga has been downgraded from orange to yellow.
- From the Icelandic Met Office: The Aviation Colour Code for Bárðarbunga has been downgraded from orange to yellow. The Aviation Colour Code system for Icelandic Volcanic Systems is explained here on the Icelandic Met Office web site.
The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 3rd of March 2015.